Join us for these Scotts Valley Senior Life Association (SVSLA) events for seniors, including educational opportunities, projects promoting healthy lifestyles, senior health fairs, and fundraising activities.
New Performing Arts Center for Scotts ValleySVSLA has served as the conduit for its supporters wishing to help with the construction of a new Performing Arts Center for Scotts Valley which will enhance musical and theatrical opportunities for our community. Consider being a Founding Partner in the effort to build this Performing Arts Center next to the nearby Scotts Valley library. Contributions to date total $6,400. For more information on this exciting project visit www.svctheaterguild.com.
Stay Connected at SVSLA’s Senior Life Online Workshops
Join SVSLA on the 1st and 3rd Monday afternoons of the month at 4 pm for Senior Life Online, an opportunity to hear a featured speaker discuss a topic of local interest—while safely sheltering in place—and chat with other senior citizens. Our schedule of speakers includes:
- June 21, 2021 : Santa Cruz Animal Shelter presents Topic: Local wild animals, rescue, rehabilitation, etc.
- June 7, 2021 : Scotts Valley Fire Chief Ron Whittle, Topic: Update from the Fire Chief, Services to the Community, etc.
- May 17, 2021 : Darshana Croskey, Center Coordinator, Topic: Update from the Scotts Valley Senior Center
- May 3, 2021 : Kate Halversen, Debbie Doss & the Genealogical Society of Santa Cruz, Topic: Genealogy Resources Around Santa Cruz
- April 19, 2021 : Sharon Medler, local artist, Topic: The Local Art Scene and Resources
- April 5, 2021 : Santa Cruz SPCA, Topic: SPCA 101: Animals, Adoptions and the Agency
- March 15, 2021 : Topic: Intergenerational Online Media Exploration w/Scotts Valley High School Students
- March 1, 2021 : Piret Harmon, General Manager of the Scotts Valley Water District, Topic: “Updates” from the Scotts Valley Water District
- Feb 15, 2021 : Dr. Emily Miller, owner, veterinarian, Scotts Valley Veterinary Clinic, Topic: Preventative Care for our Paws & Purrs Family. Watch a video of the presentation.
- Feb 1, 2021 : Janet Janssen, Coach, Trainer, Speaker, Topic: The Secret to Goal Setting
- Nov 30, 2020 : Shelli Strahle, Attorney, Estate Planning, Topic: Trusts and Wills. Watch a video of the presentation.
- Nov 23, 2020 : Jim Reed, Scotts Valley City Council and Chief of Staff for the Mayor of San Jose, Topic: What’s happening in Scotts Valley and observations about what’s plaguing our political discourse
- Nov 16, 2020 : Wallace Baine, local columnist and theater arts critic, Topic: “Lookout Santa Cruz”, Baines’ start-up online news organization for Santa Cruz County. Watch a video of the presentation.
- Nov 9, 2020 : Kate Halversen, Consultant, and Debbie Doss, Director, Santa Cruz Family History Center, Topic: Genealogy: Getting Started
- Nov 2, 2020 : Jay Topping, Scotts Valley historian, Topic: Alfred Hitchcock’s Time in Scotts Valley
- Oct 26, 2020 : Jack Dilles, Scotts Valley City Council Member, Topic: Scotts Valley City Budget
- Oct 19, 2020 : Ross Eric Gibson, author and well-known local historian — Topic: Womens’ Sufferage (voting rights) in Santa Cruz
- Oct 17, 2020 Scotts Valley Mayor‘s “2020 State of the City Address”
- Oct 12,2020 : Donna Lind, long-time Scotts Valley city official, her ground-breaking 52-year career with the City of Scotts Valley and the early days in Scotts Valley.
- Oct 5, 2020 : John B. MacMillan, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research and Professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UCSC — COVID-19 diagnostic testing at UCSC
- Sep 28, 2020 : Gail Pellerin, Santa Cruz County Clerk/Registrar of Voters — mail-in ballots
- Sep 21, 2020 : Dr. Terry Hollenbeck, MD, retired local Emergency Medicine Physician — Seniors & COVID-19
- Sep 14, 2020 : Bruce McPherson, 5th District Supervisor and former California Secretary of State — County response to wildfire and COVID-19
- Sep 7, 2020 : share experiences about the wildfire evacuation & COVID-19
- Aug 13, 2020 : Ross Eric Gibson, author and well-known local historian — downtown Santa Cruz transformations</li>
- Aug 6, 2020 : Danny Reber, Executive Director of the Scotts Valley Chamber of Commerce — the Chamber’s response to support business affected by COVID-19
- Jul 30, 2020 : Greg Pepping, Executive Director, Coastal Watershed Council
- Jun 14, 2020 : “Sign Along with Eden,” Eden Israel
(Pre-registration is required.)
The link above is valid for Senior Life Online meetings from now June 21, 2021.
- To pre-register for the current Senior Life Online meeting, click https://tinyurl.com/SVSLA-5.
- You need to pre-register only one time for the entire series.
- After you pre-register, you’ll immediately receive an email message from “MusicalMe Zoom” with the subject “Senior Life Online Confirmation.” Save this email message because it contains the link to join the Zoom meeting on Mondays at 4:00 pm.
Joining these calls is easy. However, if you are at all hesitant and want some training in advance, please call our Vice President, George Haas, at (831) 334-7763.
Handouts and recordings (if available), are posted on our “Completed Projects page.
Join SVSLA in making a difference in the lives of Scotts Valley’s senior citizens and students of the Scotts Valley Unified School District. SVSLA recently launched its “Adopt-a-Senior-Program” as another way to help senior citizens in our community. The program’s initial focus is on senior citizens with limited resources who are isolated and lonely. With the support of the Rotary Interact Club at Scotts Valley High School, students will create personalized cards and care packages for seniors. Over time we hope to expand the program to train students in working with seniors. This program will enrich the lives of both local seniors and high school students.
SVSLA has established a GoFundMe campaign to collect monies to directly fund its Adopt-a-Senior-Program. Please donate today! Donations of materials appropriate for the gift baskets are also welcome. Contact SVSLA at (831) 438-1000 to arrange for the donation of materials.
Volunteer Opportunities for Seniors in our Local Schools
SVSLA has teamed up with the Scotts Valley Unified School District to offer senior citizens volunteer opportunities in our local schools. Your unique skills and interests will be matched with a volunteer position that is meaningful to you. Explore the numerous opportunities available, whether it is to help students in the classroom, work in the library, assist with office work, get involved with sports activities, speak to students about a career in your field of expertise, assist in the computer lab, or other activity of interest to you.
Recently, kindergarten programs in SVUSD have become full day instead of half day and many teachers are requesting more hands to manage the longer hours. Senior volunteers would be a welcome addition to the Kindergarten classrooms.
We all know that serving in a rewarding volunteer position definitely makes life more fun. For more information, contact Michelle Stewart, Director of Curriculum with the Scotts Valley Unified School District, at (831) 438-1820, ext. 114, or by email at email@example.com.
Free Water Heater Earthquake Inspections
Secure your water heater before the next earthquake. To coincide with the Great American Shake Out in October, SVSLA is sponsoring free water heater earthquake inspections to ensure your water heater is securely strapped to the wall. Helping Hands volunteers will inspect your water heater and, if necessary, install or replace your water heater straps at no charge to you. This activity is limited to the first 12 seniors in Scotts Valley to sign up. Call (831) 438-1000 soon to sign up.
Check back here for details about upcoming workshops and events.
Are you a senior citizen concerned about yourself and other seniors? SVSLA exists to help all of Scotts Valley’s senior community. We need and would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions about what SVSLA can do to improve senior living for yourself and other seniors. Please share your thoughts and concerns by calling or emailing today.What other topics and educational programs would be helpful to senior residents in the Scotts Valley area? Click here to share your thoughts with us.
Scotts Valley Senior Life Calendar ~ Future Activities
We hope to see you at these upcoming SVSLA activities.
Sign Up for the SVSLA NewsletterSubscribe!
To request the latest SVSLA Annual Report, please use the Contact Form to send us an email message.